The Manor House was built in 1862-4 by J.W.Rowell for the younger Sir Lawrence PaIk, who had inherited it in 1860. No longer stucco, but grey limestone in random courses. A pinched, vaguely Tudor gabled garden front, not quite symmetrical; a rather more successful approach from the west, past the pretty stables to an angled porch with an eclectic concentration of Gothic motifs: polychrome arch, plate tracery, and ballflower-studded balustrade. Owned by the first Lord Haldon. The park-like grounds are magnificant with numerous specimen trees, conifers, azaleas, rhododendrons, a terrace, rides, glades, dells, and glimpses of the bay over Meadfoot.
The house is listed Grade II.
Cherry & Pevsner: The Buildings of England – Devon, 1989: 860