- Walled Kitchen Garden
The neo-classical house of c.1800 replaced an earlier house and was itself demolished in 1957. The Dower House remains, once an attractive Regency building has been badly treated. In 1806 Polwhele wrote that ‘ the house, now gone to decay, was heretofore stately and magnificent ….. The house is in ruins’. White (1850) noted that it was ‘a fine old mansion which has been much altered and modernised, and was for a long period the seat of the Hankford family’. Stockdale described it as ‘an ancient estate ….which is delightfully situated on the western banks of the Torridge belongs to William Tardrew who has a very handsome mansion on the site of the barton’. The sale particulars of 1912 identify a specimen cork tree as the lawn’s feature. There were also woodlands, shady walks, a range of glass-houses and a walled kitchen garden.
Kitchen garden walls in grounds of Annery House (demolished) Grade II
Cherry & Pevsner: The Buildings of England – Devon, 1989: 573-4
T Gray: The Garden History of Devon, 1995: 33-4