- Walled Kitchen Garden
The medieval seat of the Waldrons and from 1762 of the Rolle family. It was rebuilt and extended twice in the C16, added to in the C17 and restored in 1868. Surviving garden features include forecourt garden walls and gateway, c.1600, a modern summer-house with two medieval statues of a king and a bishop
Bovey House was an hotel, tastefully modernised and set in attractive walled gardens retaining many ancient and historic features, as does the house itself with secret passages and a priests’ hole. There is a well in the grounds, which is 180ft deep and has a tread-wheel for raising water. Thirty feet down is another hiding place let into the sidewall.
Bovey House, front garden boundary wall and gateway to east listed Grade II*. Kitchen garden walls to north and gate piers to south, south west listed Grade II.
Cherry & Pevsner: The Buildings of England – Devon, 1989: 190
T Gray: The Garden History of Devon, 1995: 52