The original section of 1855 and perhaps the first extension merit designation. The area to the east is of little interest. Veitch's were employed to landscape the site, initially 4.5 acres were alloted to the Church of England and 1.5 to non-conformists. Each portion had its own chapel, designed by local architect Edward Ashworth, who also planned the lodge and gates. A large granite cross by Harry Hems of Exeter commemorated the 160 people who died in the Exeter Theatre fire of 1887.
Trevor Falla: Discovering Exeter – 3, 1983