The manor house of the Calmady and Shilstone families set in an C18 park. The plain early Georgian front range conceal a C17 house with two storey wings flanking a courtyard. White (1850) noted that it was a ’fine old mansion’ while Stockdale described it as ’an ancient mansion surrounded by extensive woods & which form a very striking feature in the scenery of this part of the county.’ The C18 parkland survives unspoilt. The stables dated 1711 have the Calmady arms.
Leawood House, stable 15m. south, Leawood Lodge, Leawood Mill all listed Grade II.
Cherry & Pevsner: The Buildings of England – Devon, 1989: 211 T Gray: The Garden History of Devon, 1995: 138