- Walled Kitchen Garden
The house was built in 1862 for a Mr Matthews of Plymouth and extended in c 1880. There are two Jacobean gables flanking a bay window, with a battlemented tower on left. The house is built of red granite with limestone dressings, rising romantically above an idyllic water garden which was made in the 1880’s and 1930’s. In the grounds there is some masonry and a Tudor arch from the old house which stood across the stream near the road, and where the walled garden remains.
The house is listed Grade II.
Cherry & Pevsner: The Buildings of England – Devon, 1989: 470