Sand is a small stone Tudor house with Elizabethan(1590) and early C20 additions and alterations . Owned by the Huyshe family since 1560. C15 hall house and thatched garden house C1600 in the grounds. Elizabethan garden laid out by John Capel but contracted during farm tenancy 1730-1908. Garden extended 1908 by Rowland Huyshe and re-landscaed by Mary Sheldon. Garden further extended by Pat & Margaret Huyshe (1970).
Sand House and Sand Lodge are listed Grade II*.
Cherry & Pevsner: The Buildings of England – Devon, 1989: 717-8
T Gray: The Garden History of Devon, 1995: 199-200