Waddeton Court

Designation:
All on Devon Gazetteer
Parish:
Stoke Gabriel
Local Authority:
South Hams
OS Grid Ref:
SX 874 568
Map no.:
Landranger 202
Description:

A large country house, near the site of an earlier house, in landscaped gardens overlooking the River Dart.  The house, built in 1829, was the property of the Studdys from the early nineteenth century to 1916.  Henry Studdy was the founder of the Royal Dart Yacht Club in 1866.  Seven bay front.  The exterior detail is rather dull Victorian Tudor c1844.  There are gate piers with griffins at the start of the drive. Kitchen garden.

Listed Buildings

House, gate pier and gate 140m NNW, chapel, Lodge Cottage and remains of Waddeton House all listed Grade II

References

Cherry & Pevsner: The Buildings of England – Devon, 1989: 539
T Gray: The Garden History of Devon, 1995: 123

50.3996294, -3.5856702999999