- Deer Park
Whiddon Park is a substantial remnant of the large manor house of the Whiddons. The estate was bought by the Drew family of Castle Drogo. White (1850) noted “the ancient mansion and woody park of 300 acres”. Stockdale described it as a “mansion built in the Elizabethan style and the surrounding scenery of the Park and Wood bounded by the Teign is remarkably beautiful. The Park is in extent nearly 300 acres”. The deer park is at the entrance to the Teign gorge. Probably a medieval deer park and the walls may be medieval as well. Granite rubble but carefully built using large pieces of granite. The wall is intact and stands up to 3m high in places; it has a flat top projecting very slightly. There is a ditch on the inside of the wall. The wall encloses the park originally belonged to Whiddon Park House and there is a gateway through it to a drive from the house.
Whiddon Park is listed Grade II*, coach house and stable adjoining listed Grade II, deer park wall between SX 723 889 and SX 722 894 listed Grade II*
Cherry & Pevsner: The Buildings of England – Devon, 1989: 251
T Gray: The Garden History of Devon, 1995: 234-35