Bovey Castle is a lavish neo-Elizabethan mansion built in 1906-7 by Delmar Blow for WFD Smith, later the second Viscount Hambledon. The house is comparable to Castle Drogo in scale, but without the sparkle of Lutyens. It was extended in the 1930s. The restrained garden front is magnificently set above terraces overlooking the lake and river. The site is now an hotel.The carriage drive leads from the entrance gates and lodge across the parkland to the house. The grounds are now a golf course with mown grass but retainng the essential parkland landscape character with clumps of trees.
Bovey Castle is of national significance and should be added to the Historic England Register at Grade II.
House, gazebo, gateway arch and lodges listed Grade II*
Cherry & Pevsner: The Buildings of England – Devon, 1989: 599-600
T Gray: The Garden History of Devon, 1995: 149