Created since 1945 by Lionel Fortesque (and now owned by a trust of that name) within the walls of part of a medieval monastery and now spread to some 7 acres. Built around a stone tower and walls which recall Sissinghurst and Scotney. (3ha) of mixed planting with lawns and trees. From the tower there is a bird’s eye view of the enclosed garden. Fortesque was a collector and developed the garden on a steep slope on the edge of Dartmoor, planted on five levels in compartmental style, with herbaceous borders, trees, unusual shrubs and stone paths. Views to Cornwall.
S Pugsley: Devon Gardens – An Historical Survey, 1994: 18,178 OS Guide to Gardens: 96 A. Lees-Milne & R. Verey - Englishman’s Garden 1982: 64-67