The Dolvin Road Cemetery on the south side of the road comprised four burial grounds and the earliest
to the west was opened for dissenters in 1834. To the east of this, a Quaker Meeting House and burial
ground were opened in 1835. Further east still, two further areas were opened in 1845: the central one
served the parish church, and the ground at the far eastern end provided more accommodation for nonconformists. This cemetery was full by 1881, when a new cemetery was provided in Plymouth Road.
Cherry & Pevsner: The Buildings of England – Devon, 1989: 442