Wiscombe Park is a Gothic country house by Joseph Power of Colyton for C Gordan in 1826, with some modernisation of about 1880. White (1850) merely noted it as ‘a pleasant seat’ while Stockdale described it as ‘a very interesting mansion of the Elizabethan style of architecture built about 1826 on the site of the old manor house being situated in a richly wooded vale, has a very pleasing appearance. This estate in early times belonged to the priory of Otterton and was granted in the reign of Henry the third to Sir William Bonville Knight, in whose time the Park was well stocked with deer. In digging the foundation a large quantity of their horns was discovered.About a quarter of a mile from Wiscombe there are remains of an ancient fortification, called Blackbury Castle, now covered with forest trees.’ The conservatory has been partly rebuilt.
Wiscombe Park is listed Grade II*
Cherry & Pevsner: The Buildings of England – Devon, 1989: 96, 747
T Gray: The Garden History of Devon, 1995: 241