The Palace dates from 1224 and although the early history of the garden is not recorded, it is perhaps the oldest in Devon. Our guided visit will take us through a 14th century arch to the gardens (approximately 1.2 hectares/3 acres) stretching from the south-east corner of the cathedral to the old Roman bank and city walls. The grounds contain some fine trees such as a Lucombe oak, horse chestnut and copper oak as well as a surprising mix of wilderness and formality. The Palace and Gardens are of course home to Robert, The Rt Rev. The Lord Bishop of Exeter, a keen horticulturist.