- Public Park
Formerly the grounds of Beaumont House, the seat of the Bewes family. Beaumont House was, for a time used as the Plymouth museum but is now a clinic. It has a C18 three storey wing and a Regency east wing and porch, all stuccoed. Francis W Harris was Mayor of Plymouth 1891-2 and during his mayoralty opened BeaumontPark as a public park. There is a tablet affixed to the wall there with the following inscription: ‘A beech tree 10’ north of this stone was planted by Alderman Francis W Harris, Mayor 1891 in commemoration of the opening of BeaumontPark’. The park is mainly lawn with mature trees in a parkland style, with a rose covered pergola and formal bedding near Beaumont House. The principal access is marked by a lodge and there are several access points from neighbouring streets.
Beaumont House Grade II
Cherry & Pevsner: The Buildings of England – Devon, 1989: 668
S Pugsley: Devon Gardens – An Historical Survey, 1994: 152