A large house in a landscaped park, formerly a deer park. House circa C16 in origin although largely rebuilt in C18 and with early C19 alterations and additions. Seat of the Rogers family. U-shaped with a regular stone south front of 2-5-2 bays with Georgian sashes and an early nineteenth century Tuscan porch. The lake in the landscaped grounds was created by James Green in 1827. Polwhele noted in 1806 that it ‘well merits particular attention. Its situation is rather low and water too near the house but its extensive lawn and the groups of trees have a pleasing effect.’ White (1850) noted that it was ‘a large substantial mansion, in a delightful situation, commanding fine views’ while Stockdale described it as ‘a spacious mansion-surrounded by an extensive demesne containing a variety of beautiful romantic scenes of an Alpine character. During the last twenty years this estate has been considerably improved by extensive Fire plantations, which exposed to the effects of a north east wind, appear to thrive to much advantage.’ Today the site is primarily an informal garden and parkland centered on the lake and flanked on W and NW slopes by planted woodland. The valley faces SSW and the lower E slopes close to the house form a small arboretum now (1985) much overgrown, but containing maples, rhododendrons, magnolias, and conifers. Higher up on the E flank of the valley is a walled kitchen garden and glasshouse attached to a gardener's cottage.
House, service wing and stables House, service wing and stables all listed Grade II*.
Cherry & Pevsner: The Buildings of England – Devon, 1989: 288
T Gray: The Garden History of Devon,1995: 50