Clovelly Court

Designation:
All on Devon Gazetteer
Type:
  • Parkland
  • Walled Kitchen Garden
Parish:
Clovelly
Local Authority:
Torridge
OS Grid Ref:
SS 309 252
Map no.:
Landranger 190
Description:

Clovelly Court was the seat of the Carys, then of the Hamlyns. Ahouse has stood on the site for over 600 years.  Following a fire in 1789, an elegant Gothic Georgian wing was built in the same year. This wing was badly burnt in 1943, leaving the most ancient, albeit plain remains.  The parkland extends over 10 hectares (25 acres), with fine views over Bideford Bay.  The Hobby Drive was constructed by Hamlyn in 1829, offering an alternate carriageway approach through oak woodlandsto the picturesque village of Clovelly.  The garden is a classic example of the Victorian kitchen garden tradition, which has undergone a major renovation of the fine range of lean-to greenhouses and the re-introduction of tender fruit species.  The walled garden is also now used extensively for market gardening.  Old roses and shrubs are displayed in the garden behind the house.  The terraces also enjoy views over Bideford Bay.  In 1796  Rev John Swete wrote ‘the grounds had a fine natural fall to the sea and were charmingly diversified, with hill and vale, open glades and ancient woods.’  A diarist in 1823 noted that the ‘romantic’ grounds had a summer-house called ‘The Cabin’ which was ‘too grand to attempt description’.  He also noted that Lucombe had supplied mountain ashes with yellow and orange berries, as well as others with white, pale and dark red berries; these trees were a feature of the Hobby Drive.  White (1850) noted that it was a ‘large and handsome seat . . .the views from the house are extremely grand.’ 

Listed Buildings

House, stables, gateway, lodges, game larder, walls enclosing kitchen gardens with gazebo and cottage, Hobby Lodge all listed Grade II

References

Cherry & Pevsner: The Buildings of England – Devon, 1989: 270
S Pugsley: Devon Gardens – An Historical Survey, 1994: 176
T Gray: The Garden History of Devon, 1995: 72-3
T Gray: Devon Country Houses and Gardens Engraved Vol I, 2001: 73

50.9981276, -4.3991182