Culver House

Designation:
All on Devon Gazetteer
Parish:
Holcombe Burnell
Local Authority:
Teignbridge
OS Grid Ref:
SX 999 832
Map no.:
Explorer 115
Description:

A relatively early example of neo-Tudor, the house was built in 1835, on the site of an earlier building, by George H. Smith for the Rev. Richard Stephens, sub-dean of Exeter.  Alfred Waterhouse  designed additions and alterations for Edward Byrom in the 1870’s.  Waterhouse also designed the stables and coach house.  The balustrading in front of the house forming part of the terrace steps were taken from the Exe bridge of 1776.  White (1850) noted that the ‘handsome seat….is delightfully situated….. and the high ground behind it has been very tastefully planted.’ 

 

Listed Buildings

House listed Grade  II*, terrace steps and balustrades to the terraces south and east, stables, lodge, gate piers and gate at lodge all listedGrade II

References

Cherry & Pevsner:  The Buildings of England – Devon, 1989: 486
T Gray:  The Garden History of Devon,1995: 84

 

 

50.6997408, -3.6329161