Delamore

Designation:
All on Devon Gazetteer
Type:
  • Parkland
Parish:
Cornwood
Local Authority:
South Hams
OS Grid Ref:
SX 595 585
Map no.:
Landranger 202
Description:

 

The present Delamore, the fourth house to be built on the Estate, is a large country house in landscaped parkland. It was commissioned by Admiral Parker and built in 1859 by J. P. St Aubyn. Delamore has remained in the same family since 1688 when it was purchased from the Balmains by Sir George Treby of Plympton.

‘A very handsome pointed mansion’, wrote the Ecclesiologist, commending the architect for abstaining from ‘ needless irregularity and from superfluous turrets’.  The garden front is indeed regular neo-Elizabethan whilst the side is more romantic asymmetrical Gothic. The house and the two contemporary lodges are of granite ashlar.  White (1850) noted that it was ‘a pleasant seat’ and Stockdale described it as ’a spacious mansion, delightfully situated’.  The sale particulars of 1904 recorded that it was ‘ standing in its old- world pleasure grounds, approached by carriage drive, together with walled kitchen garden, conservatory, peach-house, vinery, greenhouses, well stocked orchard’ and that the grounds were ‘studded’ with cedar, chestnut and lime trees.  A magnolia avenue, unusual rhododendrons and lake survive. 

Delamore Arts and Sculpture Exhibition takes place annually, every day in May. The exhibition presents the largest collection of artist's work in one place in the South West. Extensive gardens featuring ancient Rhododendrons and Azaleas are at their best in May creating a vibrant and exciting backdrop to the finest Sculpture exhibition in Devon. Based at Cornwood near Ivybridge, Delamore is right on the edge of beautiful Dartmoor and makes for a fantastic day out. The exhibition is open to the public every day in May 10:30am until 4:30pm including weekends and bank holidays.

 


 

 

Listed Buildings

Delamore House, East Lodge, West Lodge, all listed Grade II

 

References

Cherry & Pevsner:  The Buildings of England – Devon, 1989:  288
S Pugsley: Devon Gardens - An Historical Survey, 1994:  177
T Gray: The Garden History of Devon, 1995:  87

50.422446, -3.971015