- Walled Kitchen Garden
The origins of the property are known to be in the 11th century when a monastic cell existed on the site. It was the home of Aeldred, later Archbishop of York, who crowned William the Conqueror.Seventeenth century house with a Georgian front, later medievalizations done by Hurrel Froude in 1825, and much, including the gatehouse, built in the early C20 century for W.S.Curtis. White (1850) noted that it was ’ a large Elizabethan mansion, is the seat of Miss Froude’ while Stockdale described it as ‘ a neat Gothic structure (which) is very delightful’. The sale particulars of 1909 listed the timbered pleasure grounds, rockery, croquet lawn, and kitchen garden.
House, stable 25m. NE of house, gatehouse, gate house cottage, inner gate and connecting walls, boundary walls with two summerhouses and gate piers all listed Grade II
Cherry & Pevsner: The Buildings of England – Devon, 1989: 334
T Gray: The Garden History of Devon, 1995: 88