Ruins of a large country house in formerly landscaped grounds. Built in 1537 for Sir Thomas Fowel. The family sold it in the mid-eighteenth century. It was added to in about 1800 and deserted in the middle of the nineteenth century. Stockdale described it as ‘a very interesting Gothic mansion and the surrounding demesne is highly romantic.’ The sale particulars of 1919 noted that it was ‘The once Grand Old Castellated Mansion of Fowelscombe (now out of repair) with its stabling, pleasure grounds, walled garden and 2 entrance lodges’. There are the remains of terraced gardens behind the house.
Ruins of the building Grade II, late C18 bridge Grade II
Cherry & Pevsner: The Buildings of England – Devon, 1989: 539
T Gray: The Garden History of Devon, 1995: 109