- Modern plantsmans garden
Created since 1945 by Lionel Fortesque (and now owned by a trust of that name) within the walls of part of a medieval monastery and now spread to some 7 acres.Built around a stone tower and walls which recall Sissinghurst and Scotney. (3ha) of mixed planting with lawns and trees. From the tower there is a bird’s eye view of the enclosed garden. Fortesque was a collector and developed the garden on a steep slope on the edge of Dartmoor, planted on five levels in compartmental style, with herbaceous borders, trees, unusual shrubs and stone paths. Views to Cornwall.
Barn, stair tower, garden wall with arch, all listed Grade II
S Pugsley: Devon Gardens – An Historical Survey, 1994: 18,178
OS Guide to Gardens: 96
A. Lees-Milne & R. Verey - Englishman’s Garden 1982: 64-67