A neat white rendered country house (now subdivided into four tenements) built around four sides of a courtyard. Gatcombe house was a Domesday Manor. Richard Fortescue sold it to William Bogan, Mayor of Totnes in 1542. His son married Prothesy Bodley, sister of Sir Thomas Bodley who founded the Bodleian Library. Whilst it has an early C19 appearance, it is a C16 house altered in the C17, C18 and early and mid C19. It incorporates work from the late Tudor period onwards. The entrance range of c.1830, has a deep Tuscan porch with Ionic pilasters above. The parallel back wing is the hall range of the Tudor house of the Bogans. In the garden wall adjoining there is a reset tablet inscribed ‘W.B. 1687’
House listed Grade II*.
Cherry & Pevsner: The Buildings of England – Devon, 1989: 539