A nineteenth-century neo-Tudor house built for the Whipham family. In 1793 Polwhele noted that ‘here a park remains surrounded by a wall’. White (1850) noted of this handsome modern seat’ that it ‘comprises in its ancient boundaries an extensive tract of rocky ground fruitful only in rabbits, but curious from its singular appearance. A steep descent from the park to the river Teign, is studded by enormous rocky protuberances, whose level summits display many of the excavations, called Rock-basins. The roaring stream at the bottom of this descent, the wooded front of the bold bank that rises on the opposite side, and the vast masses of rock on either hand, grey with moss, or dark with ivy, render this part of the park truly romantic.’ The terrace, wooded parkland and parterre survive but the gardens have largely been rebuilt.Now an hotel.
Cherry & Pevsner: The Buildings of England – Devon, 1989: 457
T Gray: The Garden History of Devon, 1995: 109-110