- Walled Kitchen Garden
Now part of Grenville College. The house was built in 1824 For the Stucleys of Hartland Abbey. It is eight bays wide, two and a half storeys high, with a hipped roof and a one storey, four column porch. The former stables adjoining the house have been converted for school use.
The formal gardens and pleasure grounds are much adapted although the most important areas survive: walled gardens with rose pergolas, remnants of statuary, formal beds with some tender plants, and interesting fish ponds which were being restored in 1991. Most of the woodland planting shown on the early editions of the OS map
Grenville College took over Moreton House in the 1950’s and has built two new accommodation blocks and has changed the ground levels in part of the estate to provide level sports pitches. Despite these changes and the expansion of Bideford, the impression, as one travels along road from Bideford to Winsford, is of a country estate. There are glimpses over the estate fencing and hedges of parkland, mature trees and the imposing house. The entrance walls, gate piers and the attractive Winsford Lodge with a group of mature trees reinforces the impression of an approach to a grand country house Sadly the main approach drive to the east has been obscured by post-war suburban development but some parts of the drive remain. The expansion of Bideford on the hillside to the east is particularly damaging to the setting of the estate but the new housing to the north is generally at a lower level and is less intrusive; and there are views over the rooftops to the hills beyond.
House and former stables Grade II
Cherry & Pevsner: The Buildings of England – Devon, 1989: 576
Rosemary Lauder (Devon Gardens Trust): Record, 1991