There is a well documented history of the building, (rare in Devon), showing what a local architect was capable of in the middle of the eighteenth century. The house was built in 1724-3 for Arthur Kelly, to designs by Abraham Rundle, joiner and architect of Tavistock. It is a competent, regularly planned, two storey, rendered house of five by five bays with a hipped roof, the usual early eighteenth century type. White (1850) noted that ‘It stands on a commanding eminence, in a richly wooded park, from which a road descends to a sylvan valley, where a rivulet supplies a small lake, and gushes over several rocky heights, in beautiful cascades.‘ The two storey stables have a central pediment, hipped roof, and little cupola. The brick granary is on staddle-stones which is unusual for the area.
Kelly House is listed Grade II.
Cherry & Pevsner: The Buildings of England – Devon, 1989: 511-2
T Gray: The Garden History of Devon,1995: 128