- Communal gardens
PennsylvaniaPark is on the brow of the hill to the north of the city and is described by Pevsner as the piece de resistance of Regency Exeter. Built in 1821 and apparently designed by John Brown for Joseph Sparkes, a Quaker banker. The pleasure grounds on the hillside below were laid out at the same time and are still maintained by the residents association. There is a large Cedar in the gardens and at the rear of nos 3 & 4.
The terrace is Listed Grade II*.
Cherry & Pevsner: The Buildings of England – Devon, 1989: 434