On the site of an older house which belonged to the Heles. The main range, of coursed stone was probably built by Arthur Holsworth in 1726 but in the manner of a late seventeenth gentleman’s house. The attribution of Capability Brown to the landscaping of the park would appear to be unfounded. White (1850) noted that it was “a picturesquely situated mansion”. The sale particulars of 1921 stated that it was “a fine family residence….beautifully situated in charmingly wooded grounds and commanding glorious views” and “….the grounds are tastefully laid out…pretty shrubberies and walks, thatched summer house . . .” The summer house is no longer there.
Widdicombe House is listed Grade II*; stables 270m. to north west is listed Grade II
Cherry & Pevsner: The Buildings of England – Devon, 1989: 766
S Pugsley: Devon Gardens – An Historical Survey, 1994: 12
T Gray: The Garden History of Devon, 1995: 236-37
D Stroud: Capability Brown, 1975: 244
D&S Lysons: Magna Britannia – Devon, 1822, II: 463