Widworthy Court is an attractive small flintstone manor house with no major alternations since the early seventeenth century. It belonged to the Chichesters who sold it to the Marwoods in the eighteenth century. Widworthy Court was built in 1830 by G.S.Repton for Sir Edward Marwood Elton in place of the old manor house. The court was “an elegant mansion” in White’s time and stands in parkland screened by plantations with rides/walks. George Repton's original plans, including the landscaping of the grounds, are in the RIBA library. Apparently the scheme was unfinished; a giant Ionic portico was originally intended but never built.
House, stables, coach house and courtyard walls NW, terrace walls SE all listed Grade II.
Cherry & Pevsner: The Buildings of England – Devon, 1989: 910
T Gray: The Garden History of Devon, 1995: 238